Coffee and News is an excellent opportunity to brush up your German while learning about current issues in German-speaking countries. Relying on magazines, newspapers, podcasts, and streamings, students will discuss common topics and themes once a week to exchange their ideas over snacks with a small group of students. Prerequisite: German 204 or the equivalent.
Goals of this Course
- You can stay updated and increase your knowledge about current events in German-speaking news to engage in meaningful discussions with people at Carleton and elsewhere.
- You can deepen your cultural knowledge and language skills.
- You can follow and expand upon your own interests and share those with your peers.
- You can reflect on differences and similarities in the ways contemporary issues are protrayed in German-speaking media vs. media you have been following from elsewhere.
- You can practice your skills in summarizing texts, finding the main argument of a text, and critically reading and formulating questions about texts.